This free professional development program is designed to build the nonprofit sector leadership pipeline by preparing early career professionals to take on increased responsibility through focused mentoring with an established nonprofit leader.
Individual mentoring (4 hours/month)
Emerging leaders are paired with an established nonprofit leader for up to four hours per month of mentoring for one year. Mentoring opportunities may take the form of:
- Observations, site visits or other “shadow” activities
- Focused coaching, role playing, or career advising
- Informal conversation
- Coaching around self-assessment and skill building
Monthly peer meetings (2 hours/month)
Mentees meet monthly with Foundation staff to share learnings and reflect on personal leadership growth with peers. This is a critical component of the learning process so applicants must be able to attend all meetings (see dates below).
Ideal applicants for this program should:
- Have between three and eight years of experience working in the nonprofit sector
- Have some experience supervising others
- Demonstrate the potential to be current or future high-performing leaders with a commitment to the nonprofit sector in Rhode Island
- Be energized by constructive feedback and open to trying new approaches in their work
- Not be afraid to ask questions, constantly challenge him/herself, and be willing to enrich the learning experience of peers.
The application deadline is February 28, 2020.
Peer meetings for the cohort of 2020 Emerging Leaders take place on the following Wednesdays from 3-5 p.m. at the Rhode Island Foundation:
- May 20
- June 17
- July 15
- September 16
- October 21
- November 18
- December 16
- January 20, 2021
- February 17, 2021
- March 17, 2021
- April 21, 2021